Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I am a 52 year old man, who well be looking at divorce in

Customer Question

Hi, I am a 52 year old man , who well be looking at divorce in coming months.
The house is in my wifes name but I have a caution against it. We have 2 young adults at home 20 and 22. I have always paid every household bill including mortgage, my wife buys food. I know this would most likely be a 50/50 split of the equity ( around 120k ). I have a pension fund of around 100k and already take a small income from another pension I took at 50. My parents have already signed over there house to me and 2 siblings in a attempt to avoid care costs should they need it in the future. Would my wife have any rights to this estate, which assuming normal health of my mother would be in 15 to 20 years time.Regards Dale
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Your wife will not be entitled to make a claim to any property which you do not have an interest in. As part of the financial negotiations you will both need to provide full and frank financial disclosure to each other, and you will need to disclose the value of your interest in your parent's home - depending on the circumstances and when it was transferred it could be decided that it is a matrimonial asset for consideration as part of the division of assets.

In relation to future inheritance, this is not an automatic matrimonial asset and any settlement you reach should include provision that no future claims are made by either of you against the other.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you.,

Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively using the stars at the top of this page as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.