13262538

My children are with their dad on holiday. One has called me

my children are with their dad on holiday. One has called me to say that he was shouting and swearing at them in public. What can I do?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:

-How old are the children?

-Which country are they in?

-Is the father named on the birth certificate for them?

-Did you consent to their travel?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes they are in Northumberland England. I am in Hertfordshire.
Three of our 4 children are with him. Age 15, 8 and 7.Yes he is on the birth certificate. And yes I gave consent. We are married and separated.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you

Having such phone calls is the most distressing experience - and I speak form personal knowledge

Unfortunately the simple answer - no matter how old the children are or where they are - is that there is nothing whatsoever that you can do.

Shouting and swearing at your children whilst on holiday with them is not an offence and is not a safeguarding issue either

Obviously you can continue to reassure and support the children through what is clearly an unpleasant holiday with their father - but trying to contact him about it will not help the children and may make the situation worse

Instead support them on the phone and when they return arrange to discuss matters with your ex using Family Mediation

www.familymediationcouncil.org.uk

choosing a mediator trained to work with young people - so that you can discuss future holiday arrangements and ensure this does not happen again

Please ask if you need further details

Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years