Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

Is my engagement ring considered a marital asset or a gift?

Customer Question

Is my engagement ring considered a marital asset or a gift? and can I sell it to help pay for my divorce?
Expert:  Harris replied 11 months ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Legally, an engagement ring is considered an absolute gift unless there has been a specific condition attached to it - therefore if there were no conditions, you are free to do with it what you wish but as part of financial negotiations you must disclose the ring and what is done with it if it is worth over £500.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Expert:  Harris replied 11 months ago.

No worries, I hope it goes well. If you have any questions in the future you can ask for me directly by starting your question For Harris