How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2734
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

Over one year separated and in the process of a difficult

Customer Question

Over one year separated and in the process of a difficult divorce.He kept the family car, and I need one to go to work as I have been renting until now, but it's just too expensive.Can I buy a car on finance with no deposit, with the money I'm earning from my employment before divorce is finalised?
I'm thinking on a £10,000 range financed for 60 months with none or little deposit.
Or will this affect my settlement?Many thanks,
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Harris replied 11 months ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. If the car is a necessary item and you are not intentionally seeking to have it to impact the financial settlement, then the court will likely agree that it is a reasonable expense.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you.

Harris and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Manny thanks,
I wonder if it would still be considered a matrimonial asset even if I don't pay a deposit, or pay from my account where the work income comes from.
Expert:  Harris replied 11 months ago.

As it would be on finance, it is not an asset that you own as you are leasing it. If it is not in your name or you are not paying for it then it cannot be disclosed as one of your outgoings

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sorry I was't clear, I will be paying for it for 60 months and I think the car will be on my name when I sign the contract
Expert:  Harris replied 11 months ago.

In that case it is an expense that needs to be disclosed as part of your needs.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Many thanks
Expert:  Harris replied 11 months ago.

No worries, I hope it goes well. If you have any questions in the future you can ask for me directly by starting your question For Harris

Related Family Law Questions