Kasare, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
12488363

I have moved in with a partner (no rings, but planning on

Customer Question

i have moved in with a partner (no rings, but planning on getting married). He owns the property. I have acted on detriment - gave up my other flat (to which he even helped me move) and transferred to a new job because we were going to live together and possibly get married next year. I have previously offered to help pay bills etc, but he's always said no. I moved in with the understanding that this will be our home as he has mentioned it in the past that this is my home too, its our home.
We have been together 4 years, i moved in here around 3 years ago, but on occasions had rented other flat due to work.
He's suddenly broken off the relationship and is asking me to rent the flat. I do not earn enough to rent the flat and had also taken out a loan when we first decided to get married - to prepare for the wedding.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first?

What was the type of agreement on the property that you left?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
rental property
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

So what have your losses been?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he's asking me to rent the property from him but would not speak in person.
He's also sent me something weird in between asking me about renting the property.
1st message says: (the day before this message, when we were face to face, we agreed to work things out and he helped me move my stuff out of my rental property)
"Need to chat about the flat - i'm not coming back to it - i'll call tomorrow about 11 - don't call me today - we are no longer in a relationship. "At 7am the next day i received this:
" Please don't answer your phone today when i call I'm being made to call you and people will be listening and i have to say certain things and make it very business call about the flat and you staying there and me charging you rent rather than a chat and seeing how you are
I don't want to talk to like that i'd much rather speak to you in private. I'm sorry about the situation i have made but wanted to make sure i helped you. Hope that makes sense'We had fights before and everytime we spoke about breaking up, he's always said that i can stay at the flat. I've offered money towards the flat before but he's always refused. I buy groceries etc.My losses: i guess i feel like i've been made to believe that this is our home (he's always said that), we were going to get married in sept initially, but he then wanted to finish renovating the flat first and said maybe next year. I've lost my own place because i was made to believe that we would live together again. And i've also taken out a loan for the wedding, which i have bought wedding dresses and stuff and when it wasn't happening, i've spent most of the money. Again, under the impression that i was moving in with him (as this has been planned since March this year - the loan was taken in May) - i would be able to pay the loan if i lived with him but would not afford place to stay if i need to start paying him rent (although he hasn't told me how much)I'm sorry if this is long and complicated. Please let me know if there is anything you need to know. I have emails that i sent to request for transfer which describes the situation (i.e. getting married) which i also sent to him to check and he said thats fine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for that

How much was the loan?

How much rent does he wish you to pay - and is that a market rent?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the loan is 12000 over 11 months -monthly repayment of about 1300.
he has not told me how much rent he wishes me to pay. it is a 2 bedroom flat in fulham (but one of the bedroom is currently storage for both our stuff. i'm guessing the rent around this area for a 2 bed flat is around 1500+
i don't know what market rent is?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its alright - just googled what market rent is
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

What rent were you paying previously?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He's never asked for rent before. I've offered to contribute but he's always taken care of things.
If you meant my rent at my previous secondary flat - rent only was £675 separate bills
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

What did you spend the rest of the loan money on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wedding dresses and shoes and just general stuff. The money was for down payment for venue but we decided not to book as time was running out and we wanted to postpone it.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Any on the property?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just household items and groceries.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Is there any left?