Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

Baby's dad wants his name on birth certificate and I don't

Baby's dad wants his name on birth certificate and I don't want it on there. Baby registered last November and we have not been in a relationship at all since I was 14 weeks pregnant. Not married.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. As you are not married there is no obligation on you putting his name on the birth certificate and if he wishes to obtain parental responsibility he will need to apply to court regarding this.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This has only repeated what it says on direct gov website it does not actually answer my question. He has submitted court papers to request this but I don't want to be looking over my shoulder for the next 18 years or have to be accountable to him if I want to take my son on holiday abroad. Is the court likely to side with him?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

If he is registered on the birth certificate or if he obtains a parental responsibility order then he will have parental responsibility and you must obtain his consent if you wish to go on holiday with the child.

In relation to child arrangements to see the child will likely be granted as the child has a right to a relationship with the father which can only reasonably be restricted if there are child protection concerns. In relation to a parental responsibility, the court will need to agree that this is in the child's best interests and that there is a degree of commitment and attachment between the father and the child for this to be granted, as well as the father's reasons for wanting this.

It may help if you seek to have a child arrangement order (for residence) in place in your favour as this will allow you to go on holiday for periods up to one month without requiring the father's consent (in the event that he obtains a PR order).

I hope this further assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you.