Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I have 2 step children, both over 18. In the event of my

I have 2 step children, both over 18. In the event of my wife's death, what is their status with me?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Did you adopt them or are there any formal court orders regarding them?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi I did NOT adopt them, they retained their surname from my wife's first marriage. The only court order I know of prevented their farther from having visiting rights and limited correspondence with them while under the age of 18.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. In that case there are no legal or formal issues regarding them ans you have no legal obligations towards them. When you pass away they have no automtic entitlement to your estate and the only way they can attempt to acquire anything is if they can demonstrate they were financially dependant on you and there is no provision in your will for them.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you.

Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively using the stars at the top of this page as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.