13262538

I am separated from my wife and we have 2 children ages 16

I am separated from my wife and we have 2 children ages 16 and 13. the 16 year old has chosen to live with me permanently, the 13 year stays with me usually once a week.
I am currently making a payment to my wife for child maintenance, this is a family based arrangement but I think I am paying too much considering I have one of the children living with me (over 6 months and no suggestion he will return to live with his mum).
I earn in the region of 76k, can you give me an idea of what I should be paying?
Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just to add to this, my wife lives in the family home. We are not divorced yet and plan to sell the familiy home at some point. I moved out and now rent.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I currently pay £850 per month to my wife for chile maintenance
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

You should be paying 12% of 89% of your gross income at most - in fact slightly less so you are indeed overpaying - the actual figure should be less than £670 a month.

You can do the exact calculation using the guide here

http://www.nacsa.co.uk/index.php/cs3-calculations

Please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you, 12% of 89% of my gross income, That feels better :-) many thanks for your advice.Chris
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

You are most welcome - and that is "at most" there are further deductions for high earners!