13262538

I am separated from my wife and we have 2 children ages 16

I am separated from my wife and we have 2 children ages 16 and 13. the 16 year old has chosen to live with me permanently, the 13 year stays with me usually once a week.
I am currently making a payment to my wife for child maintenance, this is a family based arrangement but I think I am paying too much considering I have one of the children living with me (over 6 months and no suggestion he will return to live with his mum).
I earn in the region of 76k, can you give me an idea of what I should be paying?
Chris
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Just to add to this, my wife lives in the family home. We are not divorced yet and plan to sell the familiy home at some point. I moved out and now rent.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I currently pay £850 per month to my wife for chile maintenance
Expert:  Clare replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for your question

You should be paying 12% of 89% of your gross income at most - in fact slightly less so you are indeed overpaying - the actual figure should be less than £670 a month.

You can do the exact calculation using the guide here

http://www.nacsa.co.uk/index.php/cs3-calculations

Please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok thank you, 12% of 89% of my gross income, That feels better :-) many thanks for your advice.Chris
Expert:  Clare replied 11 months ago.

You are most welcome - and that is "at most" there are further deductions for high earners!