Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I have been been ordered to attend Liverpool family court

Hi, I have been been ordered to attend Liverpool family court for questioning on 24.08.16.
Back in 2010 i got divorced and the settlement was to agree to sell a house ( my deceased parents house ) to raise the funds for settlement of £28.000, then payments of £500 per month thereafter till the total sum was reached, The property has still not been sold as yet even though i have dropped the value three times, therefore my ex-wife has not received any monies yet . I am not in the position to be able to afford expensive legal costs of my own when i attend court on Wednesday. I am prepared to pay my ex wife £500 per month until the house is sold, then settle the balance from the sale. I am very worried over attending court on my own as i know i will get baffled with all the legalalities of court. Can i contact my ex-wife's solicitor to present my offer as to avoid going to court for questioning, or will the solicitor refuse to talk to me.
Expert:  Harris replied 11 months ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. She has very likely applied to court for implementation / enforcement of the court order and the court will need to assess the circumstances as to why the order has not been implemented.

The solicitor should be able to talk to you prior to the hearing and it will be useful to do this to discuss her application and a way forward.

You should be aware that litigants in person are now very common and the judge will know how to discuss and raise issues with you directly, so attendance at court should not be daunting. Furthermore, the court may have a duty solicitor available to assist and/or represent you on the day free of charge so I would suggest you ensure you attend early - not all courts have a duty solicitor, but if they do they are there to be approached to see if they can assist.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you.

Expert:  Harris replied 11 months ago.

Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively using the stars at the top of this page as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.