Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I would ask you one question. My Boyfriend move out the

Hello. I would ask you one question. My Boyfriend move out the 1.05.16 and he never change the address , the latters still come but I send back to the sender . He was living with me 4 months and never gave me any penny for household. However, I catch him on cheating and after big argue he left, I don't know where. After a week he took his staff but because I ask some money for time when he was staying in my flat, he just ignore this so I decided to keep some of his staff to moment, when he will be ready for give the money. Now, after a 3 months he asking for his staff and try to scared me as he want to give me a court. What should I do? Victoria
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. What things is he asking for and are they his belongings or yours?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That all his staff, tv, table and some dishes
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. Why are you refusing to give them back to him?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Because he never give me any money when he stay with me, always said next month and then I catch him on cheating and then he left his self.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am waiting for answer.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. Was there a formal written agreement about his contributions and was he named on the tenancy agreement as a joint tenant?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I haven't any agreement ,he just move in
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I paid for everything, mortgage, electric,gas, council tax and the food.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I still waiting for answer. its already 40 min.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Apologies for the delay. Unfortunately, the legal position is you cannot withhold his belongings and he has a right to have them back. However, if there was a prior agreement (including verbal) that he would contribute towards the home and the outgoings, you would be entitled to pursue a money claim against him. You should first write to him formally outlining what he owes and provide him a reasonable deadline to pay, after which if it is not settled you should consider pursuing a money claim against him which can be commenced here: https://www.gov.uk/make-money-claim-online

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you.