Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

Have been in a 30 year relationship and have now separated.

Have been in a 30 year relationship and have now separated. Never married. We have 2 children age 9 and 20. I have left our home and now renting. We lived with his mother in her house for the pass 8 years and he continues to live there with our youngest, the oldest is at uni. We own a bungalow together which my dad lives in until his time is up. When that time comes we will sell and split the money. When I left he gave me half of our savings, the car, some furniture but I am getting people tell me I am entitled to more because we were together so long and I have always worked accept when I had the boys and put my money into the houses and a business we once had. Would very much appreciate where I stand. Carol
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Please confirm if you are in England or Wales?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
England
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. The legal position, as you are unmarried, is that you are each only entitled to property and possessions in which you legally own or hold title of. This legal position does not change even in long relationships unless you marry. However, if there was agreement or intention that either of you would obtain certain property or assets, then this would be grounds to pursue a claim through the courts if no agreement is reached.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you.