Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

When my parents got divorced in 1994, the court ordered my

Hi. When my parents got divorced in 1994, the court ordered my dad to buy a house for my mother, my sister and me. We were children at the time. When we grew up, my mum sold the house and bought a small flat. The rest of the money she divided unevenly between my sister and me. The question is, did my mum have the right to decide how to split the money or am I entitled to a third? Maria
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Do you have access to the court order, if so please could you attach it using the paperclip icon here?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, my mum has it. When I spoke to her on the phone today (on this particular subject), she hung up on me...
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for confirming - it will be difficult to give you firm information without knowing the exact details of the financial agreement/order.

However, you should be aware that in divorce and financial relief proceedings, the court will only be deciding on assets and only has a the power to transfer assets between husband and wife unless there has been a specific and formal application for the children. It is common for the orders to state something along the lines of "the property be transferred/bought for the husband/wife to be used for the benefit of the children until a certain age".

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you.