Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I have been asked by my ex-partner to provide a letter that

Customer Question

Dear Sir / Madam
I have been asked by my ex-partner to provide a letter that states that I am happy for my daughter to continue living in Dubai with my ex and her stepfather (they have been living there for 4 years so far). I gave them a similar letter when they first moved out. They need this new letter now because my ex no longer has a full time job, so her husband needs to be the sole sponsor of her and my daughter's continued residency there. So they need this letter from me because my ex's husband is not my daughter's father.
I want very much to help them and give them the letter, but I do have some concerns around my ongoing visitation rights with my daughter. I don't want to make threats such as unless they do what I want I won't give them the letter, but I'd like to know if by giving my permission in a such letter, if this is absolute and could not be changed at a later date, that the permission given for my daughter to be there could possibly be revoked if we don't resolve some of these visitation issues. The basic wording of the letter they are looking for states that I am happy for here to be living there and nothing more. Can conditions be built in to such a letter, or is it simply a case of I give my permission or I don't ? Any information would be most gratefully recieved.
thanks, Mark
Expert:  Harris replied 3 months ago.

Hi, thanks for your question. Please confirm:

-How old your daughter is?

-What the arrangements for contact are now and what you seek?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
My daughter has just turned 12. We do not have a formal agreement around contact at the moment. I seek to see my daughter for roughly one week in Spring, two weeks in Summer and close to a week at Christmas. In many cases over the last three years these have been met, but at two Xmas's I saw her for two days and our possible spring visit this year didn't happen because they went off for a family holiday. I have been in the process of writing an email that would encourage a more formal agreement for the whole year and would have a greater guarantee of visits definitely happening etc. I want to avoid if possible making my writing of this letter conditional on such an agreement, so that's why I'm asking the question about this giving of permission via this letter. I want to do what I can to keep things friendly and civil, as they largely have been, but I feel I'm on the losing end to some degree and want to come to a n agreement without being aggressive. If my permission can be withdrawn, then perhaps this fact can give me some gentle leverage ?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hello, are you still there ?
Expert:  Harris replied 3 months ago.

Apologies for the delay. The difficulty that you have is that your child is living in the UAE and therefore you would need to apply to the courts there if there are issues with the arrangements as English law will not apply in your case. In the circumstances it may be helpful to attempt to deal with things directly to reach agreement - I am not certain of the laws in the UAE in relation to child arrangements and therefore will not be able to confirm if it is more favourable for you to pursue matters through their legal system.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I understand that you have no knowledge of UEA law, but do you think it is likely that permission granted could later be withdrawn if absolutely needed ? Or is that in itself something that would be covered by UAE law, and is therefore difficult to answer ?
Expert:  Harris replied 3 months ago.

Unfortunately, I think it would require a UAE lawyer to look into the rules of this

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok, thanks anyway.
Expert:  Harris replied 3 months ago.

No worries, If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you.