Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor. Partner in own firm.
31090051

I got separated about a year and a half ago and are happy

I got separated about a year and a half ago and are happy working things out for kid and such like both parties are happy. I will be taking over my father's business in the near future and other inheritance. Do I need to get a divorce so she can't take half ? She says she is not interested in anything or can we make some sort of other agreement so we don't have to our kids custody flight that we both want to avoid .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Basically I want to keep any future inheritance safe from my separated wife . Problem with divorce is the custody fight for our child. We both are happy with shared custody .
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.

Under the law anything that either party to a marriage gets by way of a gift or an inheritance is not treated as matrimonial property and is exempt from any divorce. In addition to that the property which is taken to account as matrimonial property is restricted to anything acquired up to the date of separation. So your future inheritance would be excluded. As regards ***** ***** including the issue of residence of and contact with children, that could be dealt with by a negotiated written agreement between the two of you. If you are both able to reach an agreement in this way it will save you a lot of money in lawyer's fees. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.