My daughter's ex partner has decided to see a solicitor

Customer Question

my daughter's ex partner has decided to see a solicitor about seeing their 2 girls, ages, 20 months and 3 months, my daughter is worried he will take them away from her, she lets him have contact 2 days a week for 2 hours at a time, and on a sunday all day with her as a family so he can do more with them. He has a temper, is involved in drugs, which she can't really prove, he lives in a 1 room flat, has people there who are involved in drugs, does not pay for his girls as is not working at moment. his family are drinkers so she does not want the girls going there or his flat. How does she stand in all of this?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for your question

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first.

In what way is his family a risk to the children?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He has a short temper, and shouts when least thing annoys him, his family are alcoholics and i don't want my children seeing that.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
they won't be at risk but his family would be drinking if the girls were there, and i find that unacceptable.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 month ago.

I can understand that - but has any child actually been hurt whilst with them in the past?

What drugs does your ex take?

Expert:  Clare replied 1 month ago.

I understand your daughter's concerns but the contact that she is offering at the moment - with her - is simply not acceptable.

It is confusing for the children and is not seen as good contact by the court.

I appreciate that the baby is still very small and accordingly time away from mum should be short but nonetheless it needs to be on his own and not with her

If there is drug use at the father's home then your daughter can ensure that they do not go there

I do understand your concerns about his family - but this is not going to be seen as relevant by the court UNLESS there is evidence that the children are at risk of direct harm.

There may be shouting - there may be drinking but this is simply a different lifestyle and not something that the court will see as being sufficient to stop the children spending time there.

Your daughter can find out more on sites such as the one here

Please ask if you need further details