Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

Can my husband, from whom I am divorced, prevent me moving

Customer Question

Can my husband, from whom I am divorced, prevent me moving my children to another primary school, the school I wish to move them to is local to my home?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for yoir question. As you are married, the father has parental responsibility and therefore must be consulted regarding major decisions such as schooling. If no agreement can be reached then.a court must make a decision.

In the circumstances I would suggest that you make a referral to an independent mediator (you can find local ones here: familymediationcouncil.org.uk). The mediator will assist you both in reaching an amicable agreement that is in the child's best interests. If mediation does not help, then you will be able to pursue an application to court under Form C100 together with a £215 court fee to your local family court for a specific issue order and the court can make a decision regarding the matter. For your information the Court will take into consideration the following when making a decision regarding the application:

1.The wishes and feelings of the child concerned
2. The child’s physical, emotional and educational needs
3. The likely effect on the child if circumstances changed as a result of the courts decision
4. The child’s age, sex, backgrounds and any other characteristics which will be relevant to the court’s decision
5. Any harm the child has suffered or may be at risk of suffering
6. Capability of the child’s parents (or any other person the courts find relevant) at meeting the child’s needs
7. The powers available to the court in the given proceedings

If you have any further questions regarding this please let me know. In the meantime if you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Solicitor for more than 30 years.

The simple answer is that yes the father can obtain a prohibited Steps Order to prevent the move happening until the matter has been considered by the court.

The Court will look at the age of the child, the reason for the move and how the care of the child is currently shared between them.

If you explain more about the background to the need for a move, including those details you can be given a reasonable assessment of the outcome (although only a guide - no guarantees)

Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively using the stars at the top of this page as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.