Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

As a father separated from an ex wife - and the child stays

hi as a father separated from an ex wife - and the child stays with you 2 nights a week - do you have to contribute to your ex's mortgage/rent as well as pay 15% of your nett income to Child Maintenance ???
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:

-Are you in England or Wales?

-Have you divorced and has she remarried?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
going through a divorce currently but i will be giving her the house and do not want anything from it - just my name iff the morgage....as i want to buy a house in the future and cannot do that with my name on the old morgage with my ex...
Based in England
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. What are your respective incomes and what assets (together with values) do you both have, both joint and sole?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i am on 26k per year and she is on 22k per year. i have 10k debt and to be honest i dont now know what she has as we have been separated for over 2 years now...other than that the morgage is approx 90k and the prperty is worth approx 110k
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

How long have you been married?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
4 YEARS IN TOTAL BUT SEPARATED FOR 2
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for confirming. Your liability for child maintenance is based on your gross income and how often the child stays overnight with you and this is your legal liability. On top of this, if the mother is unable to meet her reasonable needs she is entitled to seek spousal maintenance from you to cover the shortfall between her income and reasonable needs, but the court will also take into account your income and needs and whether it is justified and equitable to make such an order.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you.

Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience: Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

To add to the above and to give reassurance.

There is no question whatsoever of spouse maintenance when your income is so similar