How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Clare Your Own Question

Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33283
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I am separated and my ex has had the divorce papers for 3

Customer Question

i am separated and my ex has had the divorce papers for 3 months and is refusing to sign them - as she says she has not had time to look at them...where do i stand?
Submitted: 3 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Harris replied 3 months ago.

Hi, thank you for your further question. In the circumstances you would be able to apply for deemed service as it is clear that she has received the petition. You will need to complete a D11 form, and a statement outlining when and how she has confirmed receipt of the divorce papers and send this to the court with a £50 court fee.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you.

Expert:  Clare replied 3 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** i have been a Solicitor for more than 30 years

before you attempt deemed service the crucial question is which ground the Petition is based on?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
its just a straight forward divorce after a 2 year separationbasically i think she is trying to pro long it due to the fact that (i found out only yesterday) that she she forged my signature on the current mortgage deal on our marital home back in dec 14 on a 2 year fixed so i think she is holding out fo that to run out so she doesn't get found out.... ironic ting is that if she had asked me to sign it back then i probably would have done as i wouldn't want to see our son homeless!! but in any case she now isn't helping matters...
Expert:  Clare replied 3 months ago.

Do you have any paperwork in which she explicitly agrees to you issuing a divorce based on the two year separation?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
what kind of paperwork do you mean? we have talked about it and i have had the papers issued but thats it
Expert:  Clare replied 3 months ago.

Then there is a problem as Deemed Service - or even using a Bailiff will not enable you to go forward.

For this ground the Court needs to see clear consent from her if the divorce is to go ahead.

I suggest that you write to her and give her two weeks to return the paperwork and tell her that if she does not do so then you will amend the Petition to one based on her Unreasonable Behaviour and claim the costs of doing so.

If you do have to take that route you will need to arrange to have the paperwork personally served on her by an Enquiry Agent (costs about £90) and then she can ignore the papers all she likes - the divorce will still go ahead

I hope that this is of assistance

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
thanks for that - does the letter have to come from a solicitor or can i send it from myself?thanks
Expert:  Clare replied 3 months ago.

From you is fine

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Kasare



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
< Last | Next >
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    UK solicitor
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
  • Glos solicitor's Avatar

    Glos solicitor

    Family Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience in all areas of family law, now specialising in cases involving social services and children
  • face July 2011.64x64.jpg UKfamsol's Avatar


    Family Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    Very experienced specialist family law solicitor, qualifed in 1994
  • chatham-chamber's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)