13262538

Does special guardianship allowance end at 18

Customer Question

Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Special Guardianship Allowance ends when the child reaches 16, or if they stay on in education after this it is subject to social services agreement.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you.

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a solicitor for more than 30 years

My colleague is incorrect

The relevant part of the Act is this

Cessation of financial support

9. Financial support ceases to be payable to a special guardian or prospective special guardian if—

(a)the child ceases to have a home with him;

(b)the child ceases full-time education or training and commences employment;

(c)the child qualifies for income support or jobseeker’s allowance in his own right; or

(d)the child attains the age of 18 unless he continues in full-time education or training, when it may continue until the end of the course or training he is then undertaking.

Please ask if you need further details