13262538

I have a child who is biologically not mine but I am named

I have a child who is biologically not mine but I am named on the birth certificate as the father and I was married to the mother at the time of his birth, I know I have parental responsibility and if we split up in the future she can have my name removed front the BC is there anyway around this as I love him as my own child, does parental responsibility give me full rights as a father or would I have to go through the adoption process without any incriminationspecial thank you
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thanks for your question. How old is the child and how do you know he is not your biological son?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is 3 and a half and found out when he was 17 months old he was not mine I had a feeling so submitted a DNA test which proved conclusive
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi are you still there?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. To confirm, you and the mother are still in a relationship and you are fully involved in the child's life?

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you

AS I understand it your concern is what might happen in the event that you and your wife separate.

As you are aware at that point your wife could use the fact that you are NOT the biological father of the child to have the birth certificate changed which would automatically remove your Parental Responsibility.

In fact it would not be easy to do this without your agreement and co-operation unless she is still in touch with the actual biological father,

There is nothing that you can do about this at the moment - since you are on the birth certificate then adoption is not open to you (and indeed trying to deal with it in this way would be viewed with some concern by Social Services)

However in the event that you do separate you can deal with the matter by obtaining a Child Arrangement Order from the court stating that the child lives with both of you (at different times) which would give you Parental responsibility whatever happens to the Birth Certificate

Please ask if you need further details

Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you clarified and happy with that Clare.