My son and his partner split up when my grandson was 7

Customer Question

my son and his partner split up when my grandson was 7 months and is now 5. Since then they have sheared care of my grandson.
My son has had his son over night on Wednesday and every alternate weekend from Friday when we picked him up from school to the Monday when we dropped him back to school and the same when he was at nursery
Today my son's ex-partner has said that he cannot have his son over night anymore, he can collect their son on Saturday and Sunday morning and bring him back in the evening this she is doing as my son did not tell her that he was going to Spain with his friend who has recently had his leg amputated My son had asked me to look after my grandson which I am always happy to do. He phoned his son and spoke to his son every night and morning and returning back on Sunday to take his son on his first day back to school on Monday booking a day off from work to do so.
I am a nurse and have looked after my grandson from him being months old I have especially come back to Yorkshire to see my grandson grow up and my son would never leave his son with anyone else but me. I need to know what we should do as I am concerned that if we do not put something in place by law I feel that this will destroy my son and his son's relationship.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for your question

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

Why did your son not tell his ex about the trip?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
because she does not tell him about her trips
Expert:  Clare replied 1 month ago.

Who has she left the child with in the past?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
her boy friend and her parents has my grandson every Thursday and her boy friends sister her aunty
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Please send me your reply via my email I contact you tomorrow when I return from work
thank you Daniella
Expert:  Clare replied 1 month ago.

As you realise his ex is being unreasonable and has clearly acted in temper.

Your son needs to arrange to see a family Mediator for a Mediation Information and Assessment meeting (MIAM)

If it is possible to discuss matters with his ex then that is good - but if not he will have to apply to the court for a Child Arrangement Order setting out the time that the child spends with him

This can then be enforced if necessary

Hopefully it will not come to that - given that things have worked well until now it may be possible for them to agree a Parenting Plan that avoids a court hearing.

he may find this site interesting

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details