How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Clare Your Own Question

Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33312
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My son and his partner split up when my grandson was 7

Customer Question

my son and his partner split up when my grandson was 7 months and is now 5. Since then they have sheared care of my grandson.
My son has had his son over night on Wednesday and every alternate weekend from Friday when we picked him up from school to the Monday when we dropped him back to school and the same when he was at nursery
Today my son's ex-partner has said that he cannot have his son over night anymore, he can collect their son on Saturday and Sunday morning and bring him back in the evening this she is doing as my son did not tell her that he was going to Spain with his friend who has recently had his leg amputated My son had asked me to look after my grandson which I am always happy to do. He phoned his son and spoke to his son every night and morning and returning back on Sunday to take his son on his first day back to school on Monday booking a day off from work to do so.
I am a nurse and have looked after my grandson from him being months old I have especially come back to Yorkshire to see my grandson grow up and my son would never leave his son with anyone else but me. I need to know what we should do as I am concerned that if we do not put something in place by law I feel that this will destroy my son and his son's relationship.
Submitted: 3 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

Why did your son not tell his ex about the trip?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
because she does not tell him about her trips
Expert:  Clare replied 3 months ago.

Who has she left the child with in the past?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
her boy friend and her parents has my grandson every Thursday and her boy friends sister her aunty
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Please send me your reply via my email I contact you tomorrow when I return from work
thank you Daniella
Expert:  Clare replied 3 months ago.

As you realise his ex is being unreasonable and has clearly acted in temper.

Your son needs to arrange to see a family Mediator for a Mediation Information and Assessment meeting (MIAM)

If it is possible to discuss matters with his ex then that is good - but if not he will have to apply to the court for a Child Arrangement Order setting out the time that the child spends with him

This can then be enforced if necessary

Hopefully it will not come to that - given that things have worked well until now it may be possible for them to agree a Parenting Plan that avoids a court hearing.

he may find this site interesting

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Kasare



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
< Last | Next >
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    UK solicitor
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
  • Glos solicitor's Avatar

    Glos solicitor

    Family Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience in all areas of family law, now specialising in cases involving social services and children
  • face July 2011.64x64.jpg UKfamsol's Avatar


    Family Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    Very experienced specialist family law solicitor, qualifed in 1994
  • chatham-chamber's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)