13262538

I am buying a property using an inheritance and I don't feel

Customer Question

I am buying a property using an inheritance and I don't feel like adding my husband's name on the paperwork. If we had to divorce would the half be his?I have three kids and I want to secure their future.Considering he hasn't been the provider and a fantastic partner, I don't feel it is right to have him as partowner of the property. He is very upset about it and doesn't acknowledge my reasons. Am I right?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

How long have you lived together?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We lived together from 2005 to 2008 (married in 2006) then I moved to Italy and lived with my father up to today and he has come to visit every two to three months.We have three kids, never divorced him because of them. He never provided, I and then my father did.He passed last year and I inherited his funds. I am moving the kids back to the UK to have a better life and I am happy that he is with us, although I don't t believe he should be part owner property. In the past I helped him financially and never got to see results.So I lost trust and don't want to risk it with a house.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

But for clarity - you will once again be living together full time now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

If he lives in the property with you then whether or not his name is ***** ***** deeds is not relevant.

He will have matrimonial home rights in the property and will be entitled to share of the equity in the event of a divorce.

Please ask if you need further details