Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

Can the mother of our child for whom I have parental

Customer Question

Can the mother of our child for whom I have parental responsibility and I agree together that I renounce the parental responsibility and financial responsibility in favour of the stepfather and if so, how do we do this?
Expert:  Harris replied 10 months ago.

Hi, thank tou for your question. What is the reason for wanting to do this?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
My son has asked me to research his options. Basically his relationship with the mother of Sophia, his daughter, is untenable and always was. He never wanted a child with her and had left the relationship when he was told she was pregnant. He has tried to be a father for a while, but the mother has moved a long way away and in truth, he feels it has become an unsustainable position, especially now that she is marrying someone else. He also wishes to marry someone else who does not really want his child in the picture. It is all rather difficult.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Could you let me know when you might answer my original question? Thanks
Expert:  Harris replied 10 months ago.

Thank you. Of course it is a difficult situation, but the child has a right to a relationship with her biological father and the mother can only restrict this if there are welfare or child protection concerns. Relinquishing parental responsibility is a major step and her stepfather would need to consider adopting her thereby discharging your son's parental responsibility. You can see further information about the process here: https://www.gov.uk/child-adoption/adopting-a-stepchild

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Is adoption the only way. Can they not come to a mutual agreement about this or is this denying the child her rights. The biological father would always be in the background, but allow the child a stable upbringing.
Expert:  Harris replied 10 months ago.

How did your son acquire PR? Was it through marriage?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
He tried to live with the mother on the birth of the child and his name is ***** ***** birth certificate. This lasted six weeks. He has visited her every two weeks for the last three years under the mother's orders and financial requirements. Now the new man is on the scene and they both want to lead their own lives. She has also moved a long way away. so it is very difficult. She also talks about moving abroad.
Expert:  Harris replied 10 months ago.

How old is the child?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Three
Expert:  Harris replied 10 months ago.

Thank you - the most straightforward method would be for the stepfather to adopt the child.