Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  UK solicitor
28732269

Can you please advise me that if someone dies and they have

Customer Question

Can you please advise me that if someone dies and they have joint accounts and are living together does the money automatically pass on to the other party on the account
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your question. I will try to help.

If two people hold money in a joint account in both of their names, then upon death of the first to die it would pass to the other remaining owner.

However, in order to get the account changed from both names to one name only you would have to produce a copy of the death certificate to the bank, so that they have evidence that one of the joint owners has deceased so that they will then change the account in to one name only.

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back. Please remember to leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.

Kind regards,

Tom

Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

Is there any further information you require?

I just want to ensure that you are satisfied, so please let me know if you have any further queries on the information I have provided. If you have no further questions then please do leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.

Kind regards,

Tom