Kasare, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
12488363

I have brought up my daughters twins since they were born as

Customer Question

I have brought up my daughters twins since they were born as she was only 15 and couldnt cope. She wanted them to know that she was their biological mother and agreed that we could change their surname to mine and my husband ( I have remarried and have a different surname) i have asked her to agree to their name being changed by deed poll and now she is refusing although she agreed at first can i still go ahead and say that she does agree as she did in the first instance. We have told the twins that she is their biological mother. basically she has gone back on her verbal agreement with us.
Expert:  Clare replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for your question

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

How old are the Twins now?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The rwins are ten years old
Expert:  Clare replied 10 months ago.

Why have you left it until now to change their names?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
because my daughter wanted the girls to know when they were about three but i said they probably wouldnt understand i thought at this age they would understand better and they did
Expert:  Clare replied 10 months ago.

If they have kept the name until now is there any reason to change it?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
the girls have said they want the same name as me and my husband. the former surname is ***** ***** of the past where the girls and i lived in a controlling situation with an abusive partner. Social services, police etc got us out of the house as we were deemed to be in a high risk situation.
Expert:  Clare replied 10 months ago.

Do they share the same name as your older daughter what reason has she given for the refusal?