13262538

Me and my husband are getting divorce,, I make so little

me and my husband are getting divorce, I am Thai, I make so little money i just want to ask if i can claim a maintenance?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am Thai, My husband and me married since May 2010, i have small food business which earn a little just enough to contribute our life in the past. My husband earn more than me. We bought a property together in Feburary 2015, most of deposit money was from my husband which he got it from sold his mother flat ( the sale was after we got married). He had met another women around August 2015 and straight away wanted to leave me and wanting divorce straight away. I just have advice from some solicitor that i could get 50/50 from the property and a maintenance maybe 2-3 years, is this always true?My husband said his solicitor told him that the maintenece for someone tht have kids together as we don't have one. i just want to another opinion about the settlement and how things split. although my husband who had an affair but he was the one who filed for divorce and i let the his divorce petition true just to save cost of everything. I just want to check if the solicitor that i have now is right with what they said. please help
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Clare replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for your question

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

How much is the property worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?

What income do you each have?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you Clare,
the property we bought was £450,000, the mortgage were £382,000
Now he saying that the deposit was his inheritance from his mother ( he sold his mother's flat after we married) would this will effect the settlement? we also signed on the paper with solicitor if we were going to divorce will split 50/50.
the outstanding balance now £370,000.
I earn £7,000 a year, my husband earn 60k-70k not he claim that his company not making money and he is 25k in debt.
He met someone and within few months the women he met pregnant with his baby, i don't know if this will effect the settlement if we end up go to court. He been paying the mortgage and the bill until today he saying he will have to stop and transfer all bill into my name as he not living in the property. I just want 50% share from the property and 2 years of maintenance, is this sounds possible? from your experience.
Expert:  Clare replied 6 months ago.

Do you wish to retrain to enhance your work prospects?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am try to get to work more by teaching cooking ( can not start right away) and want to have a sum money to start up my takeaway cafe but that can't happen without having my own place with kitchen. which i need some money to fund for renting for a couple.
Expert:  Clare replied 6 months ago.

Did you actually leave Thailand as a result of your marriage

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Me and my husband met in London back then i had a student visa. We married here as well. But i don't have any family here, was only him.
Expert:  Clare replied 6 months ago.

How long have you actually lived together?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
We married in May 2010 ( almost s8x years)
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sorry * almost six years.
Expert:  Clare replied 6 months ago.

Was that when you first lived together?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Oh sorry i was November 2009 when I moved in with him.
Expert:  Clare replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for that.

A seven year relationship is seen as being of medium length.

It is unlikely that the court will move away form a 50/50 division of the matrimonial home - at worst it could go 60/40 in his favour because of the inhertance - but I think that is unlikely.

Given the substantial difference in your incomes and the fact that this is not your country of birth I believe that Spouse maintenance time limited to two or three years is very likely to be awarded to allow you to get yourself into a position where you can support yourself fully.

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you Clair,
Right now my husband claiming that his business is in debt which i feel like he is not truthful about what he telling me. And he is working in Indonesia and i can not check if he has open another bank account to hide his true income from last year. he is going to be a father of his first child with the Indonesian women he met ( his affair) Would all of this will effect the settlement?
Sorry if my English not very clear. And anything you would like to advice me in additional?
Expert:  Clare replied 6 months ago.

If he i snot being honest then you may get a larger share of the matrimonial home

Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you Clair,