Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

What are my wrights when getting a divorce about splitting

What are my wrights when getting a divorce about splitting the assets even though most of the assets are in my husband name?

Hi, thank you for your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:
-Are you in England or Wales?
-How old are you both?
-How long have you been married?
-Do you have any children together, if so their ages and proposed arrangements?
-What assets and pensions do you both have (both sole and joint), together with values?
-What are your respective incomes?

Hi, this question remains open. Please could you provide the requested information so that I can assist you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HiI am 42 years old and my husband is 56 years old. I have a 13 years old son from a previous relationship. We leave in England and we have been married for 5 years. We work from home in a LTD company and my husband is the sole owner with me as a company secretary. My husband bought 3 properties while married and all 3 are in his name. We do have a house together. His pension is about £600,000.00 while mine is about £20,000.00. We've been working together for the last 10 years for the company and all the money he has in his savings and the houses he bought come from the company.
I know I am entitel to half of the house we own but need to know my wrights on the rest of the properties and his pension.

Did you cohabit prior to the marriage, if so for how long?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Yes we leaved together for about 4 years before the we got married

Thanks for confirming. Given you have only been married for 5 years and cohabitted for 4 years prior to that, it is likely that your husband would have grounds to "ring-fence" pre-marital assets. So anything that has not been used for matrimonial purposes and was acquired prior to the marriage (and potentially the cohabitation), can be ring-fenced and you may not be able to claim against them. However, you would be entitled to claim against all matrimonial assets and the court's starting point would be a 50-50 split of the matrimonial assets and ensuring that both your needs are met.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you