13262538

My cousins husband had 2 illegitimate children many years

Customer Question

My cousins husband had 2 illegitimate children many years before he married her. He has had no contact with them for over 30 years. They now have 2 children together. She has become worried that should anything happen to her husband in the future that the 2 illegitimate children could appear and stake a claim on his estate my cousin and her husband who are in their fifties have not written a will.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you.

Your cousin is right to worry.

In the event that he dies before her then she will receive all assets hale din joint names; but if there are any that are not she will receive the first £250,000.

The rest will be divided with half to her and the other half divided equally between her and the two children.

It would be sensible for them to make Wills

Please ask if you need further details