How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Clare Your Own Question

Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33319
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now


Customer Question

Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

How old is your son and what contact doe she have with his father?

Is there an existing Court Order in place?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
sorry a bit vague. to give more detail.
My son is 5 and has weekly (on a bi weekly time table) contact with his father, he collects on a Friday from school and brings him back on Saturday morning at an agreed time ( he never brings back at agreed time though always a delay never any text to say running late, turns up when he likes) the following week he collects on a Friday and brings back on the sunday.
Today he was supposed to bring him back at 10.30, he text at 10.30 to say was running late and to meet at 11.30 at a retail park at 12.05 I tried to get hold of him to find out where he was by text, at 12.30 I got a text to say could he bring him back at 4pm, I text to say no and called, phone kept on diverting and couldn't get hold of him, I called the police to see what they could do to track my son down, they said nothing can be done without court order.
he then managed to turn phone back on and text to say he'd keep him the night ... no my weekend, all very odd. I then went and got my son from where he is living to find my ex husband hiding in the bathroom off his head on coke
there is no order in place
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I asked my son had daddy been out, he said yes he'd been at a friends party. I asked what son had been doing , he said he'd been sat in daddies tiny bedroom all day. his dad wasn't fit to do anything with him.A similar situation arose the previous week, we (my son, daughter and I) returned from holiday zak hadn't seen his dad for 9 dayss and was excited about seeing him, the arrangement was for him to come and collect on the Friday morning... but he text at 8am that day to say he was trashed and couldn't collect his son for some hours as he needed sleep. I declined him from seeing zak that day on the basis he wasn't fit to drive or look after his son. There have been other instances where he hasn't turned up for pick up due to last minute nights out. My concern is he is not fit to have zak and I can't control what happens when my son is not with me. He has a problem with cocaine and my son can't be around it. How do I stop him from seeing him
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
for info my ex-husband lives at his mothers house (1 hour away from me), and zak and him share the same bed / room when he says ... its been like this for 2 years
Expert:  Clare replied 2 months ago.

Is there a Court Order in place?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no court order
Expert:  Clare replied 2 months ago.

I assume your ex's parents are useless as any sort of safeguard for your child?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
His mother doesn't speak English (Pakistan) and therefore had limited relationship with me and Zak, and his father works 6/7 days a week so not home till after 7
Expert:  Clare replied 2 months ago.

It is clear that you cannot trust your ex to remain in a safe condition to care for your child - or for his parents to protect the child if necessary

That being the case it is reasonable to suggest that contact moves to a Contact Centre,uk

until the issues can be resolved.

You should also offer to discuss matters with him using Family Mediation

If he is not happy with this he will have to discuss it with you in mediation - and then apply to the court if it cannot be resolved.

You can then ask for drug testing!

You can read more here

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
thank you will read .. but how do I stop him being taken by his father at school? in the short term .... right now he could just take him
Expert:  Clare replied 2 months ago.

Is it likely that he would do so?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
he will say I have no right to stop him, and ignore what I've said about no contact, and laugh in my face if there
Expert:  Clare replied 2 months ago.

Then you can make an urgent applictaion for a Prohibited Steps order to prevent him removing the child from school or from your care

This is done using a Form C100

and paying the fee of £215

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Kasare



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
< Last | Next >
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    UK solicitor
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
  • Glos solicitor's Avatar

    Glos solicitor

    Family Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience in all areas of family law, now specialising in cases involving social services and children
  • face July 2011.64x64.jpg UKfamsol's Avatar


    Family Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    Very experienced specialist family law solicitor, qualifed in 1994
  • chatham-chamber's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)