Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

Im 61, my wife who im divorcing is 60. we've been married

im 61, my wife who im divorcing is 60. we've been married for 39 years and during that time ive run my own business. my wife through choice works part time. we have agreed to equally split the equity in our house when its sold after our divorce which amounts to approx £100,000 . My wife is also expecting me to pay her £200 per week after the divorce. My business however is struggling to stay afloat and has debts of approx £25000 but debtors of only approx £5000. I have also amassed credit card debts of approx £65000 keeping the business afloat. These credit card debts are being managed by a debt management company on my behalf. Am i legally obliged to pay my wife the £200 per week that she is demanding?
Expert:  Harris replied 10 months ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. You do not have an automatic obligation to pay her spousal maintenance and there needs to be a full assessment of both of your financial positions include income and needs. If you had the funds and she is unable to meet her reasonable needs from maximising her income, then it would be reasonable for there to be spousal maintenance, but if you are struggling to meet your own needs then it is unlikely that a court will impose a spousal maintenance order.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you