How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11567
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor. Partner in own firm.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I don't understand the wording on my divorce settlement and

Resolved Question:

I don't understand the wording on my divorce settlement and wondered if you could clarify please.
It states I should "pay child support Until 18 years or ceases full time education to the end of first degree whichever the later occur"
My son is now 16 and is beginning a paid apprentiship. Therefore not in full time education but also not 18
I don't know when my child support payments should cease, can you help please?
Look forward to hearing from you
Rory (07989 408759)
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.

It is the date which is the later of him becoming 18 or ceasing full time education to degree level. As he has ceased full time education (and I presume there is no reference to training) then the later date will be your son attaining the age of 18 so that is when your liability ceases under the agreement. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.

JGM and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you