13262538

My daughter had a child in 2014 and the father is mentioned

My daughter had a child in 2014 and the father is mentioned on the birth certificate. They are no longer in a relationship but her son stays with his dad and his parents every Wednesday and every 2nd weekend. She has started college and following receiving the two year old funding and financial help from us, her little boy attends nursery for two full days and one half day per week. The father wants the child to be looked after by his mother, however, and is threatening to close his place at the nursery. She has always had her son living with her and we are confused about whether or not the father has the right to object.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further informtaion first

What is the father's objection to him going to Nursery?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
His mother is a nanny but also very controlling. He wants his mother to be paid to look after the child. He says that children should only be looked after by family members.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Is he intending to pay his mother?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No he expects my daughter to enquire into getting the funds from college for her to pay. He does not give any money for the child. They had baby when both were 16 years old. My daughter lives on government money which we often have to subsidise. He is now doing an apprenticeship but doesn't contribute anything. His parents will buy the child some shoes etc which are not always welcomed by my daughter but every little helps. My husband and I bought all of the equipment for the baby and have provided furniture for my daughter's house.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

He cannot close the place at the nursery - and the college will not pay his mother to care for the child.

As the father he has equal parental responsibility and the right to be consulted on schools etc - but he has no more power than your daughter does .

I suggest that she tells him that if he is not happy with the arrangements then he needs to finance alternative ones.

I shoudl also point out to you that in fact if he is an apprentice then he has an income and should be paying maintenance

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details