Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

Divorce after short marraige of 14 months Assistant: Thank

divorce after short marraige of 14 months
Assistant: Thank you. Can you provide any more details to help us find you the right Expert?
Customer: likelyhood of ex being advised that he is entitled to half of my house even though he contributed nothing and is not on the mortgage or if it will be looked upon as both parties to be put back to the financial position they were in when first met
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:
-Are you in England or Wales?
-How old are you both?
-Did you cohabit prior to the marriage, if so for how long?
-Do you have any children together, if so their ages and proposed arrangements?
-What is the value of the property, and what is the outstanding mortgage?
-Who is now living in the property?
-Whose name is ***** ***** in?

-When was the property purchased and has it been used as the matrimonial home?
-What other assets and pensions do you both have (both sole and joint), together with values?
-What are your respective incomes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
England... I am 55 he is 56... cohabit for 5 years...no children together... 200k with 155 mortgage... just me living here, solely in my name bought in 2002.... yes used as matrimonial home...
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

-What are your respective incomes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he cashed in his only pension last year... his income 25k and i am self employed around 15k
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Are there any other properties, savings, investments or any other assets at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he has said divorce him on adultery or unreasonable behaviour - he has had affair since feb
i have savings of 75k and equity of around 26k in a rental property
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

What about him?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he has a lot of debt... he came with a lot of debt, a suitcase and a car for scrap
he did not pay off debts with pension... think his 'exit' been planned for a while strategically
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
around 40k debt i think
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have to go out now, im sorry... im assuming this can carry on later? or i will get your opinion when i get home? many thanks
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

No worries, I will wait until your return.

What are his debts in relation to and when were they accumulated?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
debts from credit /store cards from previous marraige
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. Firstly, your marriage is short but in short marriages the court considers periods of cohabitation prior to the marriage and the court will likely agree that the marriage length would be considered to be medium length at just over 6 years. Furthermore, as your property has been used as the matrimonial home, even though it is in your sole name he has matrimonial home rights which entitle him to occupy the property at least until divorce and also seek a share of the property, despite him making no financial contributions towards it. You would also need to disclose your savings and other property and it will need to be considered as to whether it is a matrimonial or non-matrimonial asset.

As the debts accumulated from a previous marriage you will unlikely be made to share them with him unless you have accepted them as matrimonial debts and contributed to their repayments.

The Court's starting point is a 50-50 split of all matrimonial assets and ensuring that both your needs are met in relation to both assets and income. For your information the criteria considered by the court in these matters is:

1. The income, earning capacity, property and other financial resources which each of the parties to the marriage has or is likely to have in the foreseeable future, including in the case of earning capacity any increase in that capacity which it would in the opinion of the court be reasonable to expect a party to the marriage to take steps to acquire;
2. The financial needs, obligations and responsibilities which each of the parties to the marriage has or is likely to have in the foreseeable future;
3. The standard of living enjoyed by the family before the breakdown of the marriage;
4. The age of each party to the marriage and the duration of the marriage;
5. Any physical or mental disability of either of the parties to the marriage;
6. The contributions which each of the parties has made or is likely in the foreseeable future to make to the welfare of the family, including any contribution by looking after the home or caring for the family;
7. The conduct of each of the parties, if that conduct is such that it would in the opinion of the court be inequitable to disregard it;
8. In the case of proceedings for divorce or nullity of marriage, the value to each of the parties to the marriage of any benefit which, by reason of the dissolution or annulment of the marriage, that party will lose the chance of acquiring.

If you have any further questions regarding this please let me know. In the meantime if you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you