13262538

My wife has accused me of assault by beating despite it

Customer Question

My wife has accused me of assault by beating despite it being self defence, for which I have been formally charged. I believe she intends to divorce me on the grounds of unreasonable behaviour and if this happens are the courts likely to divide our assets unequally (in her favour) because of a guilty verdict (however unjust)? Also, is there a chance I could lose assets, namely vehicles, that are solely in my name and that my wife has never contributed to financially?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you.

The grounds for the divorce will not change the financial settlement unless she can prove that her injuries (if there were any which I suspect not) prevent her from working.

All assets that are owned by either or both of you - including vehicles - will form part of the assets that the court will take into account when dealing with the financial settlement

If you tell me how long you have lived together what assets there are and what income you each have I shall do my best to give you an idea as to possible outcomes