Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I have a 6 years old son that was not registered or

Customer Question

I have a 6 years old son that was not registered or recognised by me.
I would like what do I need to do in order to register him.
I want my son to have my name.
Many thanks.
Jorge
Expert:  Harris replied 2 months ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:

-Are you the father?

-What involvement do you have in his life and how often do you see him?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Harris,I hope you are well.
Indeed I am the father.
We where saparted when he was a baby and he doesn't know me.
I have managed now to speak with his mom and made her see that is not his fault that things didn't go well within us and that he deserves to have a father.I don't have any involvement in is life yet but I want to have as much as I can and be able to recuperate the time that as gone.Many thanks.
Jorge
Expert:  Harris replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for confirming. Despite your non-involvement since birth, the child has a right to a relationship with you which can only be reasonably restricted by the mother if there are welfare or child protection concerns.

In the circumstances I would suggest that you make a referral to an independent mediator (you can find local ones here: familymediationcouncil.org.uk). The mediator will assist you both in reaching an amicable agreement that is in the child's best interests. If mediation does not help, then you will be able to pursue an application to court under Form C100 together with a £215 court fee to your local family court for a child arrangement order and the court can make a decision regarding the matter. For your information the Court will take into consideration the following when making a decision regarding the application:

1. The wishes and feelings of the child concerned
2. The child’s physical, emotional and educational needs
3. The likely effect on the child if circumstances changed as a result of the courts decision
4. The child’s age, sex, backgrounds and any other characteristics which will be relevant to the court’s decision
5. Any harm the child has suffered or may be at risk of suffering
6. Capability of the child’s parents (or any other person the courts find relevant) at meeting the child’s needs
7. The powers available to the court in the given proceedings

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Harris,Sorry, I believe I did not express my self properly.
I have spoken to his mum and she is ok with everything I said.
The only thing we need to find out is if we need just to go to the register office and registrate him or if there is any other means that we need to take in order for me to registrate him.We don't want anything to do with court we are both adults take can sort out things ourselves.Many thanks.Regards,
Jorge
Expert:  Harris replied 2 months ago.

I see, apologies for the confusion. Are/were you married to the mother?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No worries. My fault. No we are not and we're never married.
Expert:  Clare replied 2 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a family lawyer for more than 30 years.

Whether or not you are married the answer is the same

You and the mother can attend the Registrar and re-register the birth of the child.

Please ask if you need further details

Expert:  Harris replied 2 months ago.

Thank you. You will therefore need to complete this form: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/application-to-re-register-a-childs-birth-and-add-the-natural-fathers-details

Then arrange an appointment at your registry office to re-register there birth and change the surname to yours.

Expert:  Harris replied 2 months ago.

Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively using the stars at the top of this page as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.