Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

Me and my wife got married just over 1 year a go on 16th

Customer Question

Me and my wife got married just over 1 year a go on 16th september 2015. It isn't working out and we want to separate and then divorce. There are no children, I am aged 52 and she is 55 years old, we have both been married twice before. We are both UK citizens and reside in the UK in England. We were married in Turkey and had our turkish documents registered in the UK. My question is can we draw up a separation agreement covered by english law even though we were married in Turkey? Also can we divorce in the UK and will we be legally divorced in the UK and turkey.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thanks for your question. As part of the divorce in England you can enter into a financial settlement with each other and it will need to be submitted to court, along with a D81 form, once your Decree Nisi is granted and the court will assess and approve it so that it is legally binding.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This doesnt answers my questions. Which were
My question is can we draw up a separation agreement covered by english law even though we were married in Turkey? Also can we divorce in the UK and will we be legally divorced in the UK and turkey.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

A separation agreement, or financial agreement can be prepared in England and under English law but must be approved by the court for it to be legally binding.

For the divorce to be recognised in Turkey you will need to file a divorce suit in Turkey - you can see here: http://www.turkishconsulate.org.uk/en/marriage_divorce.asp?PageID=4

Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively using the stars at the top of this page as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.