ukfamilysolicitor
ukfamilysolicitor, Family Solicitor
Experience:  Divorce, Finances, Children, Domestic Violence, Care Proceedings
74916426

My ex girlfriend, who is not the mother of my children, but

my ex girlfriend, who is not the mother of my children, but was with them from a early age, had an affair and is now living with the other guy. Now after 5/6 months she is pushing for contact with the my kids.
I do not want her in our lives.
Does she have a legal leg to stand on is she takes things to court?
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

I am a Solicitor and will assist you today.

Please may I ask:

- how old are the children?

- when did she stop seeing them?

- was there are concerns of a child protection nature?

- are there any current court orders in place??

kind regards

Caroline

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
They are twins. 6 years old. Mother died at birth.
-Stopped seeing them roughly 4 moths ago. Because I told her to stay away from us.
-Not really, but she is not a very stable person, She had a bad childhood.
-No court orders. I just received a letter asking if I would go to mediation with her, which has prompted this.
Thanks Caroline.

Thank you for your response.

I am sorry to hear about the background.

Please can I ask - how long did you live with you ex?

- did you agreement any sort of parental responsibility arrangement?

kind regards

Caroline

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
We lived together for roughly 5 years.
There is no parental responsibility arrangement

Thank you for your response.

Your ex does not have an automatic right to make an application to court to see your children.

Your ex would need to ask leave of the court (the courts permission) to start court proceedings to ask to spend time with your children.

As you lived together quite a long time - then it is likley that the court would give her such permission.

This, however, does not mean that a court would then go on to make an order that she is able to spend time with your children. This would depend on the courts view of whether spending time with your children is in your children's best interest.

I would, from my experience, say that the court would err on the side of caution an probably say that spending time with your children is not in their best interests. I say this because 6 months is a long gap in their short lives. It could be confusing for you children - if she was to step in and out of their lives. You are also both likley to move on and some many adults in childrens lives can also be confusing.

Let me know if I can help you further.

kind regards

Caroline

Please kindly remember to star rate our service so that we receive credit for helping you today

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you so much for your help Caroline.
That's put my mind at rest.
Enjoy the rest of your day.
Adrian.

Glad I could help Adrian.

kindest regards

Caroline

ukfamilysolicitor, Family Solicitor
Experience: Divorce, Finances, Children, Domestic Violence, Care Proceedings