Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I got married in India in January 2016. After her visa was

Customer Question

I got married in India in January 2016. After her visa was refused I want to now end my marriage. All the original marriage certificate is in india. Can I divorce without a marriage certificate? As I'm not sure they will send me back. I have copied but not originals.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Are you in England or Wales and if so how long have you been resident here?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am a UK born. I went to India on s holiday in January 2016.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for confirming in the other question. As you have said you can't get a legal divorce under English law unless you have been married at least 1 year. You will need the original marriage certificate and an approved translation if it is not in English. If you do not have the original by January 2017 you will simultaneously need to apply for leave to pursue a divorce without an original marriage certificate and use a photocopy as your certificate.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively using the stars at the top of this page as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.