13262538

If, I 'm currently going through a divorce in the USA and

If, I 'm currently going through a divorce in the USA and choose to marry a UK citizen somewhere in Europe, what are the consequences of registering the new marriage in the UK?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

Has there been a final decree in the States?

What do you mean when you refer to "registering the marriage" in the uk?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There hasn't been a final decree. My ex wife and I aren't communicating and I do not even know where she is. I assume she filed for a divorce but haven't been served papers. I moved to the state of Colorado but do not qualify to file for divorce there until I've been a resident for 90 days. Obviously, my wife and I weren't very close for some time, before we parted ways. I have a new partner who is a UK citizen. I'm currently in the UK with her and want to remain here with her but I do not have a work VISA.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If we were to get married in a another country outside of the UK and EU and wanted that marriage to be recognized in the UK, what would be the consequences?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

If you marry elsewhere it will be a bigamous marriage which will not be recognised here in the Uk as a legal marriage

Please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Clare.