Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

My daughters 8 month old daughter is currently in Local

Customer Question

My daughters 8 month old daughter is currently in Local Authority foster care due to my daughters drug addiction. I have applied, with my partner to foster the child. The completed assessment on us and the paternal grandmother are both positive. On 12th October the case is returning to court for an update on the progress of the 26 week child care plan which started in court on 7th July. We have been advised that we will need legal representation to take part in the hearing. We will need to have legal aid as we do not have the finances to support this. What are the requirements of the legal aid process and do we have time to make the necessary arrangements?
Expert:  Harris replied 9 months ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. As you are grandparents, you do not have parental responsibility and your potential solicitors will need to carry out a financial assessment of both you and your husband - this includes income and assets positions and they will calculate whether you would be eligible based on this. You will need to contact local solicitors who provide legal aid, and if it is easier you can ask the social worker to provide you a list of local legal aid solicitors.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you