Kasare, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
12488363

I have been divorced for a couple of years and an order was

Customer Question

I have been divorced for a couple of years and an order was made in 2014 as a life order for spousal maintenance. I pay £150 per month for life, plus a top up (ordered by the court) of £25 per month for spousal arrears. I have been unemployed since April 2015 and my only income is housing benefit of £246 fortnightly. I have not paid any child maintenance since being unemployed from April 2015. I also have circa £3000 child maintenance arrears from pre 2015. I understand that should I enter employment in the future I will be paying the required level of child maintenance, plus I expect an agreed top up to account for the arrears. All has been quiet since 2015. Last week I received a notice from the family court to attend a hearing on 7th October titled 'notice to attend a maintenance pending suit'. I havent a clue what this means or what it is for. There is brief detail on the form added by my ex-partner and alerts to hardship and the reason- to support a child in education. I do have a 16 year old child in sixth form but until I am in paid employment I am unable to support her. I briefly looked up the title of the hearing and appears this type of application is made to attract an interim payment prior to a divorce or financial settlement. To be clear, there are no pending or planned future hearings or settlements due. All was settled with the spousal life order. I am completely lost with this and was hoping you could help me understand what this application is and provide me some direction. I am not represented legally and neither is my ex-partner, To date, she has used a Barrister.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, please continue to find an answer for me.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

What are you actually living off financially?