Kasare, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
12488363

In 2003 my wife died, I received widowers allowance then

Customer Question

Hello, in 2003 my wife died, I received widowers allowance then bereavement benefit. I remarried in 2005, and we hid nothing I.e. My new wife claimed only the necessary benefits, child, unemployment, we declared everything. I kept receiving the benefit in the honest belief that it was the children's money. In 2008 we moved and the money stopped when I rang to question only then did I get told that I should not be receiving the money. I was told that I owed 19.5k. In 2010 I was summoned to a meeting to ensure I had not committed benefit fraud which of cause I had not. Now in2016 the DWP are going to my employment to take a DEA which I totally refute is there anything I can do to get a fair hearing and after this long is it even leagal anymore??? Thank you in advance
Tony
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

What did you agree with them in 2008?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Clare.Thank you.Absolutely nothing 2008 is when the payment stopped, this was when we first realised there was an issue. We moved house and because a letter had been sent to an old address which we did not answer they called me. This was when we were told that there was an issue. I have never agreed anything. The fact is I wish they had taken me to court so I could of had my say.Tony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, please I need help, with this
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

I am so sorry I have been unwell and not online as much as usual

I appreciate that it was not deliberate but do you accept that there was an inadvertent overpayment?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Yes I can except that there was an inadvertent over payment, due to one computer not able to speak to another!
When they calculated everything were able to see that my wife moved in with me in the February of 05 even though we didn't marry until the December.Do I have any leg to stand on with this ?Thank you
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

For clarity - you did declare your new relationship?