13262538

I am a divorced UK citizen wishing to marry my American

I am a divorced UK citizen wishing to marry my American fiancée, we have filed a I-129F including copies of my decree absolutes from previous marriages. I have received a response from the US Department of Homeland Security requesting further information. They state: the divorce decree does not show evidence of being civilly filed, signed by a judge or magistrate, or recorded. Submit evidence that the divorce decree is final and recorded in the appropriate civil register. Can you please advise what additional information I need to provide? Many thanks David
Expert:  Clare replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for your question

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further informtaion first.

Did you send the originals or just photo copies?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi, does this make a difference? I applied to the courts, who send me copies, which I believe we're photocopied by our US attorney and then submitted.
Expert:  Clare replied 11 months ago.

Are you aware that the site charges more for a phone call?

The Decree Absolute issued by the court has a seal on it - that is the evidence that it is valid

Your only option is to submit the originals received form the courts and gently point out to Homeland Security that this is what a Decree Absolute looks like in the UK

the Alternative is to get a formal Affidavit form a Uk lawyer confirming that that is what the Decree Absolute should look like

Please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Any news or thoughts?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The copies that I received from the courts are in the US and as far as I remember did not have seals on them, I have attached photos of them.
Expert:  Clare replied 11 months ago.

The seal is the black seal in the top right hand corner - not impressive I realise

I am afraid that the only other option is to get a lawyer in the Staes with experience of UK Family Law to confirm that this is what a Decree Absolute looks like

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Do you mean the stamp that says the family court?
Expert:  Clare replied 11 months ago.

I am afraid so