Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

If i apply for divorce based on domestic abuse basis - do i

Customer Question

If i apply for divorce based on domestic abuse basis - do i need to pay my husband maintenance?
hes currently on benefits and im full time employed.
Expert:  Harris replied 12 months ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Arising out of the marriage, under English law you are both entitled to seek financial relief from the other but this does not necessarily mean you would be ordered to pay him maintenance and a full assessment needs to be undertaken by the court of both your financial positions and whether he is able to meet his reasonable needs from his own income and whether you would be in a position to support yourself, as well as pay maintenance.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Expert:  Harris replied 11 months ago.

Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively using the stars at the top of this page as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.