13262538

I wonder if you would please help, We breed our family pets

Customer Question

Hello I wonder if you would please help,
We breed our family pets (mum a daushund and dad a small dapple chihuahua)
My daughter, who lives with me advertised the puppies on-line, on line. We were contacted by a 60Ish year old lady who came with her daughter and 3 grandchildren ages 5, 7, 9 yrs, her grandchildren ran round our home screaming with excitement continually, wanting to go upstairs, opening every door, letting our house cats out, wanting drinks, going through our personal things on the side and touching things of ours asking what they are for, why we have them, running up and down the garden wanting to hold our rabbits while mum just ignored this behaviour. Kids are kids, I know that I have 4 of my own but these kids had no manners. The children also dropped 2 different puppies on the floor, on telling them to please be careful (there only babies) the children gave me a mouthful back. There mother said nothing, so I them asked her to please be careful of the way the children handled the puppies, she replied "yes that won't happen at our house". The puppies at this time had just turned 6 weeks. The adults both decided they wanted a puppy and gave us a £100 deposit non refundable. They were at our house over a hour, met mum and dad of pups. My daughter who went to animal college and worked in a vets for 3 years and 2 years as a dog trainer went though every thing of owning a puppy with Mum and Grandma (grandma already had a 8 year old daushund). Two weeks later they returned to our home to collect the puppies. Again the children were very excited, behaved the same. My daughter again went though every thing someone needed to know, micro chip registration jabs they now needed. Everything agreed they left with their puppies after another hour.
Less than 24hours later we received our first phone call from the daughter, "he cries at night" yes he will but he will settle, you have had him less than 24hrs its all new. On the 2nd phone call we found she had shut him in a Crete in the kitchen alone and he had cried all night. Again my daughter tryed to work out other ways to make puppy feel more settled including her taking his Crete in to her bedroom for the first week or so she can comfort him until he gets used to her and her routine. She replied yes but I have work and I am not having him in my bedroom. Over the days to follow this continued so we would text back and forth. They picked up the puppies on Wednesday 28th sept 2016. Saturday 1st October my daughter texted am to see how puppy had settled and how everything was going, but she ignored her text then just after 8pm we received a call from the grandma, she's decided to bring both puppies back tomorrow (2nd October) early afternoon "As her daughter has tried but has to work 2 days a week and puppy keeps crying, she can't handle it and has taken it and left it with her mum. And she's bringing her puppy back as he's perfect, lovely but to playful for her other dog and he chases him around wanting to play and her dogs to old for this he's looking at her while she's on the phone, and she wants a full refund her and her daughter want there money back". My daughter told her this isn't right she hasn't given them a chance and these "PROBLEMS" of hers will settle, they will stop crying and running around playing! she has not give them enough time to settle in, they have just left there mum they will take time to settle in.The Grandma the raised her voice became very rude and demanded we take them back, we said they could bring them back if there was any problems, she's taken both puppies to her own vet to be checked and they both are fine both lovely both unharmed in anyway we are being totally unreasonable she doesn't see a problem in us taking both puppies back and giving her the money. Now she's had these puppies 5 days, they have been in 2 different houses, what if these puppies have picked up anything. We have to now put these babies back with siblings and mum and dad. But before we do this we now have to be careful and at the moment keep them separate from our dogs until they have been vet checked and vaccinated. My daughter was in tears last night worried about them, we don't know how they have been treated, what's happened to them. Yes we will take them back poor babies, but I've been left feeling very angry and let down by incompetent people making silly excuses for "their money back". These puppies have really been so let down.Please advise us, apart from there deposits which we told them was non refundable do we by law have to give them there money back?. My daughter wants to just take the puppies and give them their money. But I'm so hurt these puppies are not ill or sick she is coming back today with her daughter and grandchildren because she wants her money back. I do not want pity but my daughter in my main carer I'm 44 and in need of a wheelchair and life is hard but we manage.
Please can you advise us. Many thanks Michelle
Expert:  Clare replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for your question

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further informtaion first.

Did you ever say that refunds would be given if the puppies did not settle?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No we said we would give a refund if anything was wrong! But a puppy that cries at night is not a problem and a puppy that's to playful is not what I would class as a problem. But thanks for your help but save all trouble we just took the puppies and gave them there money back. The puppies were only gone 5 days they came back very thin with all their hair missing, around 20+ bald patches covered in scabs from bite marks. One of the puppies you can't go near him, we are not going to try and resell him, he is ruined he screams if you go near him, if you touch him he wets himself if you put your hand above him to fuss him he screams, wets himself and flattens himself to the floor. These puppies have been hit or beaten at nine weeks old, they have been so miss treated, he even try's to bite you while screaming in fear. We were heart broken when we see the state of them, we are so glad they brought our puppies back, imagine what they would have been like left with those people any longer. Anyway all they wanted was the money back, and we gave it to them.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 month ago.

I can understand why you did that - I cannot imagine how anyone could treat puppies in this way - they are so full of fun and love (I have a cavapoo)

I hope that your love and care will repair the worst of the damage

For clarity - you did not need to give the money back - although I suspect that you would view it as tainted in any event

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Many thanks x