13262538

I have power of attorney of health & welfare & finance over

Customer Question

I have power of attorney of health & welfare & finance over my mother which she gave me and one other 3 years ago through her solicitor
She had a stroke 2 months ago & has bowel cancer shes 92 years old and lives with me.
My two sisters found out when the Dr accidently told them and it has caused me nothing but grief!
My suster has been to my house today and tried to start an arguement in front of my mother and whilst she was on the phone to the eldest sister got her to record it!
I walked away from the situation
Shes now saying shes bringing a Barrister to my house which can only mean trouble and I expect try to revoke the POA !
My mothers understands what you say to her but her speech is poor she cant write and although shes not completely without sense she doesnt know the day or year it is
I dont know what to do I ve looked after her for 3 years in my home one sister bisited twice this year the one today mondays for a shopping trip I m 60 years old the youngest my sisters are bullies and I feel sick about the whole situation I dont want to stop my susters coming in to my home but I dont know how much power I have can you advise me please?
Expert:  Clare replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for your question

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

Why do they object to you having these Powers given that you have her care?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Because I m the youngest and they think her money is their inheritance
she gave them £10.000 each when she sold her bungalow as the middle sister kept pestering her whilst I was at a funeral in Cornwall she came to my house took mum to the Bank and tried to draw out £20.000 but it was the wrong Bank! Her social worker then advised her to give me and a friend POA which she did to protect her
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What should I do and how much power do I have over the whole sitation she doesnt even tell me when shes coming!
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Are you able to help me or shall I ask another solicitor?
Expert:  Clare replied 2 months ago.

Are you aware that the site charges extra for a phone call?

Please do not worry - there is nothing that your sister's can do no matter what they threaten.

Whilst I understand that you do not wish to cause your mother any distress it is your home and you can decide who does or does not visit and when.

If you have a friend who is willing to supervise then it cold be best to arrange visits when you are not there - but certainly not to allow then to take her out (unless this is what you want)

You have complete control over everything - and the fact that you are clearly in touch with Social Services means that there is little your sisters can actually do

Please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks I m so stressed out about it all I m doing my best to care for her day & nite I have 2 carers in three times a day and the district nurse & Dr pop in they are all very happy with the care shes getting , I think I will get mums solicitor who arranged the POA to send her a letter with strict visting times and days and ask one of the carers to stay in there when she visits & not allow anyone else I dont know in my house I know her aim is to cause a row in front of my mother to upset her anx record it to say I m causing it i did stay out last week when she called in but I also need to make sure no one else comes in if I stay away shes trying to manipulate my mum in to revoking the POA with her Barrister friend present to witness it
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
p s i would have gladly paid to speak to you but Thank you
Expert:  Clare replied 2 months ago.

That would be an excellent idea - protect the carers by giving them written authority to exclude anyone other than the named visitor!