Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

Can my child's father stop me moving away with the children

Can my child's father stop me moving away with the children within the UK? He has parental responsibility but they primarily live with me
Expert:  Harris replied 9 months ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:

-How old are the children?

-From which area to which area do you propose to move?

-What are the arrangements for the father to see the children and are there any court orders reflecting this?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Age 4 and 2.Currently informal arrangements in regards ***** ***** of him for children - arranging mediator input though to put this to paper. No current court orders.Move is from Leeds to Sc**thorpe areaMany thanks
Expert:  Harris replied 9 months ago.

What have the arrangements been in the last year - eg. frequency and duration and has he kept to the arrangements?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
That's the issue in that there was an occasion he put them in danger (unsafe environment) so I didn't allow him to have them on one weekend - so seeing a mediator to make this clear (where he takes them, duration and so forth)He currently now sees them twice a week during the week for approx 4 hours, and my daughter only an extra day for approx another 4 hours then in regards ***** ***** one weekend one night, the next 2 (alternating)
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
He used to see them more often within my home but due to his verbal aggression that has been stopped
Expert:  Harris replied 9 months ago.

Thanks for confirming. As he has parental responsibility and the move will likely impact the current informal arrangements, he has a right to be consulted regarding the move and can apply to court for a prohibited steps order. However, as the location is only 1 hour away, it would be in your interest when proposing the relocation to also propose reasonable provision for contact to take place on a regular basis.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
What's a prohibited steps order please?
Expert:  Harris replied 9 months ago.

This is an order prohibiting you from doing something, in this case it will be relocation. Whether such an order will be granted depends on whether the relocation is in the best interests of the children.