How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Clare Your Own Question

Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33324
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My grand daughters dad have contacted my daughter today

Customer Question

hi my grand daughters dad have contacted my daughter today looking access to her , he is not on birth certificate, has never met her shes 31/2 years old. does he have any rights
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

Is he definitely the father?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
it was a one night stand my daughter was 19 he was 26 he took advantage of her but she didnt report it as to afraid , she told us when she was 7 months she was so scared, now she is working and as a happy settled little girl
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no cant call , cant talk
Expert:  Clare replied 2 months ago.

Please ignore the site popups

Why has he suddenly taken an interest do you know?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
he was in a relationship ,which has now ended,i think he was engaged, we dont know much about him ,
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
hi r you still there please
Expert:  Clare replied 2 months ago.

My apologies for the delay

The law says that a child is entitled to regular contact with both parents - and the courts will enforce this if necessary.

I am afraid that the fact that he is not on the birth certificate and does not have Parental Responsibility does not change this.

Having said that this man has not shown an interest until now - and there is no way of knowing what commitment he will show in the future.

On that basis whilst it would be wise for your daughter to offer some contact at a local Child Contact Centre - for a couple of hours on a fortnightly basis.

If he does not show commitment then your daughter will have independent evidence of this - and it is unlikely that the child would in fact have attached any great significance to the person that she saw at a "play place"

If he refuses the offer then fair enough - he will get no better from court

I appreciate that this is not what you wish to hear - but it is better to avoid this going to court if possible.

Please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok many thanks
Expert:  Clare replied 2 months ago.

You are welcome - I hope all goes well (the most likely outcome is that he will lose interest and stop seeing her - and will find it hard to resume it in the future)

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Kasare



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
< Last | Next >
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    UK solicitor
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
  • Glos solicitor's Avatar

    Glos solicitor

    Family Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience in all areas of family law, now specialising in cases involving social services and children
  • face July 2011.64x64.jpg UKfamsol's Avatar


    Family Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    Very experienced specialist family law solicitor, qualifed in 1994
  • chatham-chamber's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)