13262538

My grand daughters dad have contacted my daughter today

Customer Question

hi my grand daughters dad have contacted my daughter today looking access to her , he is not on birth certificate, has never met her shes 31/2 years old. does he have any rights
Expert:  Clare replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for your question

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

Is he definitely the father?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
it was a one night stand my daughter was 19 he was 26 he took advantage of her but she didnt report it as to afraid , she told us when she was 7 months she was so scared, now she is working and as a happy settled little girl
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
no cant call , cant talk
Expert:  Clare replied 10 months ago.

Please ignore the site popups

Why has he suddenly taken an interest do you know?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
he was in a relationship ,which has now ended,i think he was engaged, we dont know much about him ,
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
hi r you still there please
Expert:  Clare replied 10 months ago.

My apologies for the delay

The law says that a child is entitled to regular contact with both parents - and the courts will enforce this if necessary.

I am afraid that the fact that he is not on the birth certificate and does not have Parental Responsibility does not change this.

Having said that this man has not shown an interest until now - and there is no way of knowing what commitment he will show in the future.

On that basis whilst it would be wise for your daughter to offer some contact at a local Child Contact Centre

www.naccc.org.uk - for a couple of hours on a fortnightly basis.

If he does not show commitment then your daughter will have independent evidence of this - and it is unlikely that the child would in fact have attached any great significance to the person that she saw at a "play place"

If he refuses the offer then fair enough - he will get no better from court

I appreciate that this is not what you wish to hear - but it is better to avoid this going to court if possible.

Please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok many thanks
Expert:  Clare replied 10 months ago.

You are welcome - I hope all goes well (the most likely outcome is that he will lose interest and stop seeing her - and will find it hard to resume it in the future)