Harris
Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

My stepson has broken up with his partner and she is

my stepson has broken up with his partner and she is refuseing access to his son .
can get legal aid
Expert:  Harris replied 9 months ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Please confirm:

-Are they in England or Wales?

-How old is the child?

-How long has he and the child had a relationship?

-Has there been any domestic violence from the mother towards your son?

-Are there child protection concerns regarding the child from the mother?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
england.
2year old
since birth'
no.
no,
Expert:  Harris replied 9 months ago.

Thanks for confirming. Unfortunately legal aid for private law children matters is only available to parties who have domestic violence or child abuse evidence against the potential respondent in the matter - given he does not have this he would not be eligible for legal aid.

I appreciate that this may not be the answer you would have hoped for but if you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively using the stars at the top of this page as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.

Expert:  Harris replied 9 months ago.

Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively using the stars at the top of this page as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.

Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience: Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Expert:  Clare replied 9 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a solicitor for more than 30 years

Your son does have other options despite the lack of legal aid

The law says that children are entitled to regular contact with both parents and the courts will enforce this if necessary

Your son need sto attend a Mediation Imformation and Assessment meeting with a local family mediator

If Mediation is not successful then he can go ahead with an applictaion to the court for a Child Arrangement Order stating what time the child should spend with him

He does not need to pay a solicitor - he can do it himself using this form

http://www.jordanpublishing.co.uk/system/redactor_assets/documents/2322/C100.pdf

and this form for exemption from fees

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/537215/ex160-eng.pdf

Customer: replied 9 months ago.