13262538

If I have a divorce settlement that states spouse will pay

If I have a divorce settlement that states spouse will pay child maintenance until end of secondary education can I extend this until they finish university, even though case was settled 5 years ago
Expert:  Clare replied 7 months ago.

Thank you for your question

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

How old are the chidlren now?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
My children are 16 and 13
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
They are 16 and 13 I have agreed not to extend my spousal allowance and go for any future pensions in the settlement but never agreed not to extend kids maintenance
Expert:  Clare replied 7 months ago.

The problem that you face is one of timing.

Yes you can apply for it to cover Tertiary education (University) - provided you apply before the child is 18.

That is done using a Form A and paying the feeof £245

However at that point you may provoke your ex into involving the CMS - which can be done 12 months after the Order is made - and their assessment will override the Court Order

Accordingly leaving it later may be wise - provided you apply before the eldest turns 18, as once the Court Order no longer applies - because your child has left secondary education - the Order cannot be changed by the CMS so far as the eldest child is concerned.

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Can't quite understand! So do I extend now or wait until Ollie has finished secondary school in the year 2018 ? And what is the CMS ?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ex husband will not get cms involved as he earns a lot of money and the cms will tell him to pay me more maintenance.also a difficult one has he works in London with a flat in our town to see the kids and when he has to work but resides in Ireland where he is married does this change things
Expert:  Clare replied 7 months ago.

How much time does he actually spend in the UK?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hard to say as he travels the world as well not set pattern but he is only seeing the children 3 nights out of the month were the settlement was for one night in the week and every other weekend
Expert:  Clare replied 7 months ago.

Ok

During the court process did he use the Irish address as his home address

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No he wasn't living there at this time
Expert:  Clare replied 7 months ago.

You shoudl certainly wait until about six months before your son turns 18

The CMS is the Child Maintenance Service

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
to clarify even though he lives in Ireland I can still apply but also if I want to up payments as he earns a lot more can I do this because my monthly payments could go up instantly for both children as he doesn't even pay 20 percent of his earning
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
He earns around £350.000 to £400,000 a year
Expert:  Clare replied 7 months ago.

Yes you can still apply here in the UK as the Order is in existence.

You can also apply for an upward variation at any time

Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for your help